Marine Engineering is one of the most popular career options among youngsters. Marine Engineers hold the complete responsibility of maintaining the ship’s engine room. They are also indulged in developing and designing the engines and other hardware related to shipping and its propulsion system. Marine Engineering involves the study of a variety of subjects, including physics, physical oceanography, meteorology, etc.
Marine engineering curriculum also includes anthropology, geology, archaeology, palaeontology and relationship management. Marine Engineers have an attractive salary package, and they also get an NRI status which makes them eligible for tax-free income based on their on-shore service. Apart from the attractive salary package, they also get to travel all over the world and lead a luxurious life. Though some people find it challenging to stay away from home for long periods, they get enough leaves in a year.
Eligibility Criteria for pursuing Marine Engineering Courses
- Students should have passed the Higher Secondary Certificate Examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects.
- For admission in Marine Engineering Courses, students need to qualify the JEE to prove their knowledge of the primary science subjects.
- Students also need to pass the entrance exam, which is conducted in the month of May every year.
- After the exam, students go through the counselling process, where the interviewing panel accesses the candidate’s level of alertness and awareness of the outside environment, and they also check the suitability of the candidate for a career in Marine Engineering. Post the counselling process; qualified candidates are allotted the Marine Engineering Colleges.
- Along with the criteria mentioned above, candidates are also expected to exhibit several inter-personal and behavioural traits. A few of such characteristics are practicality, calmness, tool-friendliness, good arithmetic and general aptitude, excellent communication skills, functional physical fitness, and liking for a life at sea.
Career and Job Prospects for Marine Engineers
Marine Engineering College graduates have ample opportunities in the field of marine transport and marine engineering.
- Marine Engineers can join marine transport companies and travel on the ship.
- They can also choose to work offshore within the shipping industry and work in marine workshops and at ports.
- Marine Engineers can join the ship manufacturing companies too, as they offer a handsome salary package.
- IT Companies also have the requirement of Marine Engineers for some of their projects. They employ marine engineers for their expertise in the domain.
- Other industries which employ marine engineers are construction firms, power sector, steel industry, electrical and electronics industry, etc.
- Directorate General of Shipping of India also releases numerous vacancies for marine engineers throughout the year.
- The average salary package of a Marine Engineer in India is around Rs. 11.5 lakhs, which may be higher if a candidate agrees to work overboard an oil tanker.
Best Institutions of Marine Engineering in India are Indian Maritime University, Vels Academy of Maritime Studies, Tolani Maritime University, Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training, International Maritime Institute IMI Noida, and Institute of Technology and Marine Engineering, West Bengal.